Thursday 30 November 2017

Something beastly this-way comes (and also I melted my camera)...


I forget you're an udlænding. That's a Sleipnir. Quite common around these parts.



The Fenrisians, both Kearls and wildlings, use them for recon and warhorses. Trade them with folks in neighbouring systems as well. Not sure how the Crows got them though. Probably stole them I expect.



Sorry for the long delay since the last post! Having to wait for me to actually do some painting rather than just dig stuff out of the back-catalogue ;)

For this guy I wanted to tie in some more Norse mythology with my crows. There are a number of mythological animals surrounding Odin (which form a loose influence on how I see the various peoples surrounding Fenris). The first of which are his Wolves, Geri and Freki, represented by the Vlka Fenryka. The second of which are his Ravens, Huginn and Muninn, represented by my crows. Another is his mythical steed, Sleipnir, the 8-legged horse. Thought that would be a good basis for a xenos/gene-modified steed of some sort for Kearls and Wildlings :)

I've actually been on a bit of a gribbly creature bent recently, with this little guy as well :)


To be honest, I have no idea what they are really, but the Crows treat them like dogs. Or pigs may be a better analogy. Use them for tracking, and feed them all the stuff Crows can't eat. Fatten them up for leaner times ahead. 



There's loads of the damn things running wild on their ships. Makes it tricky to get aboard undetected. 


Hope you like them!

I've also had a bit of a...mishap...with my camera. Pro-tip: if you're crouching over a puddle of fluid that might possibly be petrol...don't use a battery drill to drill a drain hole. They spark when they stop. You'd think I'd know better by now!

Face is a little crispy but everything's ok :S phone survived remarkably well, aside from the lens on the camera which has melted a bit and bubbled up. So, after much mucking about trying to get a lighting setup that worked with my camera I'm back to square one! Not ideal with the deadline for submission to Iron Sleet looming!

Did a little photoshoot with various different cobbled together photo setups. Not sure which works best. The Sleipnir at the top is with the existing lighting setup but shot with my Canon point-and-shoot.

Next up I pinched my parent's phone (modern Samsung of some sort). Pretty similar to my old one (although it does look a tad washed out, not sure).


Point-and-shoot (not enough light for this one, although it does look atmospheric):



Point-and-shoot with additional lighting: 


Point-and-shoot with attempt at moonlit-look: 


Mate's HTC camera-phone (couple of quick snaps with not much heed to framing):



If anything, it's interesting to see how exactly the same lighting setups can produce wildly different results simply based on the camera you use...

No comments:

Post a Comment