Tuesday 8 March 2016

Hobby Progress Horus Heresy

As you have no doubt seen from NafNaf's earlier post, we are embarking upon a bit of a 30k hobby challenge spurred on by the release of the excellent Betrayal at Calth box set.




My legion of choice is the Iron warriors, my reasons for choosing this legion are two fold; firstly, i've been wanting to do an Iron Warriors army for some years now and this seemed too good an opportunity not to finally get around to actually doing it.  Secondly I really like the 'whatever it takes' ethos of the legion, that no matter what the costs we will win or die attitude.

The first models that i've completed are 5 tactical marines and a leviathan dreadnought, the plan is for every five troops I paint I can then work on something more exciting, so these are the results of me putting that test to the plan.



I've kept the paint scheme very simple as health problems over the last 12 months make it difficult for me to sit at a desk and paint for long periods of time,  so I wanted a scheme that would allow me to dive in and do ten minutes when and where I can.  Overall i'm pretty happy with them, I'm just waiting on Forgeworld to restock its Iron Warriors transfer sheet so that I can furnish them with tactical and legion symbols.

The weapons on the leviathan are magnetised so that I can swap them out when I pick up some alternate options.

The plan for the remainder of March is to complete another five tactical marines and a contemptor dreadnought.

Here are a few more pics of the models...







Thanks for taking a look, Xacheriel...



16 comments:

  1. Looking awesome dude. Love that leviathan. Basing is dead cool too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they look fantastic. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers, hopefully I can keep up the momentum now. The base for the leviathan was an eBay find, and for tac marines I just went through my bits box looking for anything that would look like wreckage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not normally a fan of the Iron Warriors scheme, but here you've done it beautifully, the yellows look understated and worn, which works better than a brighter colour for them I think (actually that's exactly the tone I want to achieve on some of the cables for my techmarine).

    Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, the yellow was simply Averland Sunset, then for the black stripes I used Army Painter's matt black as Abaddon Black just didn't look right for some reason. Finally after some basic weathering I mixed Seraphim Sepia with Lahmian Medium then just kept layering it on to the yellow where I needed it, and making it a bit darker around the damaged areas.

      Delete
  5. Beautifully done, man - really dig how those turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, I'm pleased with how they have turned out for such a simple scheme.

      Delete
  6. Awesome work! Your paint scheme looks good and your system sounds effective. Cant wait to see them on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hopefully it won't be too long until they are on the battlefield...

      Delete
  7. "I'm just waiting on Forgeworld to restock its Iron Warriors transfer sheet so that I can furnish them with tactical and legion symbols."
    They are restocked Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, time to get those ordered! So much for the 'email me when back in stock' button...

      Delete
  8. Great looking work. I love the eye lenses on the marines, I can almost imagine the tactical info rolling by on the inside of them.
    The Leviathan is impressive for sure. You have done the model justice. Interesting to note you didn't paint the giant cannon arm with glowing barrels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rory, I tried the eyes in red and blue also, but it just didn't work as well as the green, like you describe I think it adds to the technical nature of the legion. In terms of the cannon, I prefer the archeotech look, so went with lots of copper and soot. I also didn't want the cannon to be the focus of the model and after painting a lot of glow effect on tau in the past it tends to draw your eye.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful work! Loving the dread so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found these guys. They look amazing. You say your scheme is simple, would you mind sharing how you painted them ? I've had a look but couldn't see it anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. Managed to unearth Xacheriel's reply to another comment awhile ago that explained how he did it. I am sure he wont mind me copying it and posting it here for your perusal :)

      I like to keep my painting really simple. With these I went with a base coat of leadbelcher, I then washed it very very lightly with null oil. Then I did a zenithal drybrush with ironbreaker, again very lightly, building it up where the light hits the model the most. I then painted in all the details such as golds etc following that I the did focused washes of agrax earthshade into area I wanted to look oily or where dirt would gather.

      Finally it was just a case of some simple weathering, rhinox hide and ironbreaker sponged on to wear points, again built up slowly.

      To age the yellow areas I mixed seraphim sepia with lahmian medium, about 1:3 then built up shading on yellow, making it darker in the seams and joins etc.

      Delete